Skip to main content

Sleep

There are few commonalities
Between man, woman, child,
but sunset brings with it
our forced surrender to the moon.
Mankind's boundless control,
unrelenting and constant,
rages come daybreak
but loses power in the dark.
Is there any greater proof
of this nightly disorder
than the presence of dreams?
In a world ruled by science
few mysteries remain
how much more so
an enigma of the mind.
Sleep is a chasm of loss,
cutting our mortality
in half.
With such a finite number
of waking hours,
the pressure to actualize
is tiring.

I often daydream about travel.
If I could be anywhere in the world,
I would want to be anywhere in the world.
Yet, here I sit,
(my existential clock
ticking timely)
waiting for the night
to live a life too fantastic
for the day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete

It had never been so bright, Blinded, beaten, bruised. Look left right and left again, The platitude unused. The gravel on my fingers, Blood drying on my cheeks.   Faces blur above me, As I attempt to speak. The heat begins to rise, It takes my breath away. I sink into the Earth, Ceasing the display. A Summer day in June, The neighborhood’s alive. I want to play and run and jump, But forever, here I lie.

The Bat Man

To the bat man,   I wish I could blame you for this.   Sure, you were the catalyst. It was your body that metabolized the chicken that ate the bat that ate the corn that harvested the virus (or some other serpentine account of what should have been a meaningless coincidence). But implicating you for infecting thousands  is like blaming the planes for destroying the Twin Towers. While the catastrophic intention   was not found in the wet market, (as it was in Iraq),   the effect produced is identical.   Except, Bat Man,   In our case there is no embrace,   no hand holding or unification,   this time our country will not come together in an attempt to fight back against the invasion.   This virus has not only spread it’s microbes,   It has spread us   apart. You, in your mask,   Us, in ours. Ensuring that no contact,   however diminutive, takes place between your victims. Your body became a host  for a microscopic ger