Skip to main content

Personal Statement

I was inspired by our work in this class to create a poem as submission for my personal statement to a fellowship program.

Raised as an observant Jew,
A liberal one for sure,
I learned that others’ needs come first,
They matter so much more.

So, in that vein I’ve tried to live,
A life exemplary,
An RA, tutor, mentor, friend, 
To act responsibly.

It hasn’t always been this way, 
I used to live for “me”, 
Until that fateful day in June, 
The truck I did not see. 

While walking home from synagogue, 
I crossed the street too soon, 
When months of rehab finally passed, 
A certain future loomed. 

I gained more than a brand-new hip,
A thoughtful girl emerged, 
The lessons from my youth took hold,
My self-absorption purged.

Never a more selfless pair, 
My parents never rest, 
They raised four kids (adopted two), 
Acceptance always stressed.

Diversity has been the norm,
At least within my home, 
But Jewish schools, I’m sad to say, 
An isolated dome. 

A cultural divide exists, 
Between my world and yours, 
I hope to bridge that gap one day, 
In Manchester, of course. 

A lawyer I intend to be,
Analysis I seek, 
There is no better groundwork,
Than literary speak. 

I boast a solid background,
A scholarship I hold,
I’m active in athletics, too, 
If I may be so bold. 

School publications written for,
Alternative as well,
Opinions, features, news, and more,
Reviews have all been swell.

An opportunity like this, 
Is something I have dreamed, 
A Fulbright candidate am I,
Such honor, such esteem. 

I’ve come a long way in my life, 
So many goals now checked, 
The Fulbright though is uppermost, 
I have profound respect. 

Years of study lead me here, 
My academic peak, 
I ask that you consider me, 
And my approach, unique. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete

It had never been so bright, Blinded, beaten, bruised. Look left right and left again, The platitude unused. The gravel on my fingers, Blood drying on my cheeks.   Faces blur above me, As I attempt to speak. The heat begins to rise, It takes my breath away. I sink into the Earth, Ceasing the display. A Summer day in June, The neighborhood’s alive. I want to play and run and jump, But forever, here I lie.

The Bat Man

To the bat man,   I wish I could blame you for this.   Sure, you were the catalyst. It was your body that metabolized the chicken that ate the bat that ate the corn that harvested the virus (or some other serpentine account of what should have been a meaningless coincidence). But implicating you for infecting thousands  is like blaming the planes for destroying the Twin Towers. While the catastrophic intention   was not found in the wet market, (as it was in Iraq),   the effect produced is identical.   Except, Bat Man,   In our case there is no embrace,   no hand holding or unification,   this time our country will not come together in an attempt to fight back against the invasion.   This virus has not only spread it’s microbes,   It has spread us   apart. You, in your mask,   Us, in ours. Ensuring that no contact,   however diminutive, takes place between your victims. Your body became a host  for a microscopic ger